Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Rebel of The Sands by Alwyn Hamilton


She’s more gunpowder than girl—and the fate of the desert lies in her hands.

Mortals rule the desert nation of Miraji, but mystical beasts still roam the wild and barren wastes, and rumor has it that somewhere, djinni still practice their magic. But there's nothing mystical or magical about Dustwalk, the dead-end town that Amani can't wait to escape from. 

Destined to wind up "wed or dead," Amani’s counting on her sharpshooting skills to get her out of Dustwalk. When she meets Jin, a mysterious and devastatingly handsome foreigner, in a shooting contest, she figures he’s the perfect escape route. But in all her years spent dreaming of leaving home, she never imagined she'd gallop away on a mythical horse, fleeing the murderous Sultan's army, with a fugitive who's wanted for treason. And she'd never have predicted she'd fall in love with him...or that he'd help her unlock the powerful truth of who she really is. 


Amazon Link - http://amzn.to/1VRCX87

MY THOUGHTS:

4.5/5 STARS

I take pride in searching for the unique reads of the world... The ones that pull you into the words and away from reality. Books that capture your soul and leave you feeling like you left a piece of you behind with the last page. Rebel of the Sands was one of those reads... It was quick to capture my attention and left me craving more long after the final page. What really caught my attention as a reader was the how vivid each scene was. I could really picture the gritty sands, makeshift buildings, and creatures painted in swirls of light and dark. I could feel the air from the horses toss my hair every which way and I could feel the love bloom deep within my heart.

The characters were a huge part of the book and I loved each one in a different way. Amani was a heroine that all will learn to appreciate! She was strong and fierce... Manipulative, but in the best way possible. She knew how to shoot a gun and was able to capture the readers attention with her softer side. Jin was the mysterious guy with an unexpected twist... He had secrets and was on a dangerous journey. When him and Amani meet it turns into a middle eastern "Bonnie & Clyde'ish" scenerio. Together they face mythological creatures and fight for a better world.

For those wondering... Yes, there was romance and no it wasn't instalove. It was a gradual slow burn relationship that fed off of danger. It was passionate and quirky and definitely swoon worthy!

All in all, I really loved this story! I enjoyed the twists and turns and found myself unable to stop turning the pages. For the most part I thought it was an awesome debut... Yeah, some of the story was bit scattered and it did seem a tad rushed towards the end, but those things didn't take away from all of the wonderful things that happened. I thought the Author did a great job at creating a unique world with characters that were captivating and fun to read about. I can't wait for the sequel!

No comments:

Post a Comment